Friday, July 26, 2024

Saturday 9: Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Liza Minnelli acknowledges that she may be "taking a terrible chance." Have you done anything risky lately?  Not that I can think of. I used to take lots of risks, but the older I get, the less risks I seem to take.

2) In 1969, when Liza recorded this song, she was 23 and her career was really beginning to take off. She was a sought-after guest on TV talk and variety shows and received her first Oscar nomination. Give us a quick overview of your life at 23.  I had been married for three years and was a stay-at-home mom raising my first child. We were also living with my grandmother, which turned out to be an absolutely horrible situation.

3) Also in 1969, the first Gap store was opened in San Francisco. What have you recently added to your wardrobe? If yes, where did you buy it?  I ordered a pair of Vionic recovery clogs on Amazon, but I have to send them back. For some reason, they sent me a men's size 13!

4) Liza says she always has apple juice in her refrigerator. What's something you're certain to have in your frig?  Diet Coke, strawberry yogurt parfaits, lots of cheese (different kinds), eggs, and milk.

5) Liza's favorite card game is poker. What's yours?  I don't have a favorite. I like poker, gin, and UNO.

6) Though Liza recorded the song in 1969, "Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)" was written way back in 1931. It has been recorded more than 50 times by artists as diverse as Bing Crosby, Andy Gibb and Bob Dylan. Before today, had you heard it?  I don't think so and that surprises me. I've always liked Bing Crosby and Andy Gibb.

7) "Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)" is credited to Bert Kalmer and his partner, Harry Ruby. Another one of their hits was "Who's Sorry Now?" Do you owe anyone an apology?  It's possible, though I can't think of anyone right now.

8) Together they also wrote "Hooray for Captain Spaulding," sung onscreen by Groucho Marx in the movie Animal Crackers. There were five Marx Brothers in all. How many can you name?  Groucho, Chico, and Harpo are the only ones I know.

9) Random question: Do you believe talking to plants helps them grow?  There's supposed to be some science behind that, but I still don't talk to mine. I tried when I was younger and felt like a total idiot.


Thanks to Sam @ the Saturday 9 for the music and questions!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. When I was 23 I had been married for over three years, had one child and was pregnant with #2. Wow - in today's society most people don't even contemplate marriage until they are well into their mid-30s. Times have changed. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1: I think as we get older we become more aware of consequences. #2: I always wondered how those multi-generational homes really work out. You see them on TV and in the movies all the time and everyone seems happy, but I can recall family trips to a cabin in Wisconsin where, after a week sharing space with my grandparents, I thought I would go out of my mind. My mom loved it, but the rest of us? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multi generational living worked for me when my kids and I moved in with my parents after my divorce. But there have to be rules and boundaries and respect among all the adults.

      Delete
    2. I loved my grandmother dearly, but she was not good at letting me be an adult, letting me parent my own child, or do things my own way while we lived with her. She had promised us her house if we lived with her, but we couldn't do it. My husband went so far as to take a job and live 3 hours away with my parents. I didn't get to join him till 6 months later.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stacy, oh wow, men's size, how could they do that. Let me know how you like them when the right size come in. Oh yes, I love my cheese. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your Vionics! I think I saw some on QVC or HSN and I loved them, but they are so expensive. I would pay the price, but I would want to try them on to get the right size first. Maybe someday. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband wears a size 13! His feet are twice as big as mine, almost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fun Saturday 9! I enjoyed your answers, Stacy. Sorry you have to send your shoes back. I hate when something has to be returned but at least they make it fairly easy. We can take them to a UPS store and they send them back. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you find some relief with your Vionics! I got a pair of Oofos recovery slides and they are quite comfortable but too casual to wear to school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is the truth the older you get the less you take risks because you don't want to injure yourself or embarrass yourself in any way. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought Kualii's, really comfortable (since I have bad feet). ANYWAYS, wishing you a beautiful Sunday my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Currently

On a Monday evening in October...  it's a cool 47 degrees and the forecast says we're going down to 38 degrees before the sun rises ...