Friday, September 13, 2024

Saturday 9: Minute by Minute

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) It's easier to keep track of the minutes if your timepiece has a second hand. As you answer these questions, are you wearing a watch or can you see a clock that has a second hand?  No and no. I think I have a watch or two around here somewhere, but I haven't worn a watch since I stopped driving a school bus. Like so many, I use my phone for that, too. We don't have any clocks in the house with hands at all. Do they even teach kids how to tell time with an analog clock these days?

2) In this song, Michael McDonald admits he knows his girl has lied to him. Do you suspect any one of your friends/family has fibbed to you recently?  Mmm...maybe Tim in telling us what the doctors have said or what they allow him to do. He is a terrible patient.

3) McDonald's big break came in 1973 when he joined Steely Dan's touring band. What do you consider your first professional success?  I don't really think I have one. Until now I've never really had what I considered a profession...just a series of jobs. I am looking at the possibility of being named the supervisor of my department in the next week or two. I guess that would be a success if it happens.

4) In 1975 he joined The Doobie Brothers. He was originally supposed to be a temporary replacement for Tom Johnston, but he ended up working with the band uninterrupted for seven years. Tell us about something that's happened to you that turned out better than you anticipated.  That would be years ago when I volunteered in youth ministry. I got involved in that very reluctantly, but my years doing that were some of the best times of my life.

5) In 1986 he guest starred on an episode of The Young and The Restless. Have you ever been hooked on a daytime drama?  Back in the day I never missed an episode of Days of Our Lives. Bo and Hope, Patch and Kayla...swoon!

6) Michael and wife Amy raised their family near Nashville, where they had their own pond and a garden they lovingly tended. Do you enjoy yard work?  I used to. I haven't really been able to do much of it the last few years thanks to arthritis pain.

7) In 1979, when "Minute by Minute" was popular, movie star John Wayne died. In 2004, the US Postal Service honored him with a stamp. What was in the last envelope you stamped and dropped in a mailbox?  I have no idea. We get lots of mail, but I rarely send anything out.

8) In 1979, the most popular new car was the Oldsmobile Cutlass. Ads promised drivers the Cutlass could make it easy to get in and out of tight parking spots. Are you good at parallel parking?  You'd think I would be after driving a school bus all those years, but you'd be wrong. I could parallel park a bus with ease, but I'm not so good with my personal vehicle.

9) Random question: Did you know your great-grandparents?  I knew two of my great-grandmothers on my mom's side. Not well, though, as one passed when I was 5 and the other when I was 7.

Thanks to Crazy Sam for the music and questions!

Play along here.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy, I am going to ask my grandkids if they can read a wall clock. Kids rely on digital, but what if something happened and they could not use phones or other devices. I can't read without my glasses, but I can tell what time it is with an analog clock that I have on my home screen. Did you drive a small school bus? I Hope Tim is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its so neat that you knew some great grands. I hope Tim is doing well. Watches break on me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you and Tim in prayer, my friend. Hope you have a lovely Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of watches, I'm going to go back to wearing one. I'm really tired of relying on a cellphone. I'm all for returning to analog and slower times.
    Pre-congrats on becoming a Supervisor. I know you'll be super at the job.
    Prayers that Tim will heal quickly. I'm a terrible patient too. I get that.
    I try to keep up with the yard work (we have 6 1/2 acres) but it's getting to be a bit much. May take another tack on that. Let it go wild again except around the house.
    Blessings.💙

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sad that we never get to know our ancestors who could help guide us in life. Hoping to meet them in Heaven some day. I can't imagine parking a school bus!! Oh my goodness... you just became Superwoman to me!! Good luck with the possible promotion!! They would be silly to give it to anyone else! Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1 When I go to the doctor they ask me to draw a clock at 3:15, I asked what about the kids today, I doubt very many of them have seen an analog watch.
    #4 Volunteering gives you that warm fuzzy feeling when you know you made a difference in somebody’s life.
    #7 Just bills go out and ads come in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, early congrats on the promotion! I hope that happens for you if you want it. That's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, they don’t teach kids how to read an analog clock, or how to write in cursive. We live in a digital world now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My students cannot read an analog clock. (but they can write in cursive) And congratulations on the promotion!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wear a watch every time we go out the door. It's just a habit I have and I feel lost without it. Yes, I have my cellphone, but that's a pain to pull out of my purse and hit the button to light it up and find the time when I can just flick my wrist and see the analog hands pointing to the time. Funny, it's the first thing I take off when I come back inside the house! LOL. Our kitchen wall clock is analog, but all the others are digital. I hate having to change them with the time change. Wish they'd get serious about stopping that!! Hope Tim is doing better and praying for his full recovery and healing. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think of the beautiful old clocks in Chicago's Union Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center and sincerely hope young commuters know how to read them! I'd hate to lose them. That would not be progress.
    I was an All My Children girl myself, but like you, I remember it for the romances.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 9: Minute by Minute

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it  here . 1) It's easier to keep track of the minutes if your timepiece has a second hand. A...